The mill goes clickety-clack on the whirring brook
The techniques of the past, like the water-powered mill, will amaze you as much as the numerous adjoining buildings which include the mills, the saw mills, the chapel, the storehouse and a dower house.
Simon Fehrenbach built the little chapel in 1737 in Jostal. In the museum it is one of the Hippenseppenhof's outbuildings.
This storehouse was built in Schollach in 1590, and was allotted to the Hippenseppenhof by the museum.
According to the inscription, the Gutacher storehouse was erected in 1606/26 in Oberharmersbach. It consists of a stone basement floor upon which the wooden upper floor stands.
Bakery and distillery
The bakery and distillery house was built where it now stands in 1870 as an outbuilding to the Vogtsbauernhof. The oven was used until 1950. 30 to 40 loaves of bread can be baked in the oven at one time.
The knock and drop saw of the Open Air Museum is one of the few still functional saws of this kind still standing. Built in 1673, it was in operation until it joined the museum in 1963.
The Vogtsbauernhof mill was built in Vorderlehengericht in 1609. Many Black Forest farms, due to their often being so isolated and difficult to reach, were granted by their manorial lord with the right to have their own mill, though only in return for certain duties (mill tax and interest). They were only allowed to grind enough grain to cover personal requirements.
Kinzigtal storehouses are impressive buildings in terms of the way they are built and their size. The fertile Kinzig valley allowed the rich farmer to erect storehouses which can be regarded as real status symbols.
he Open Air Museum erected this bakehouse in 1972 according to an old Kinzigtal model, in order to be able to bake in the museum. As in the olden days, the hut stands at a safe distance from the house for reasons of fire safety. Here, local farmers wives regularly bake bread for visitors to the museum.
The hemp press belonged to the Oberen Mühle (Upper mill) in Steinach in Kinzigtal, and was used until 1928/29. Hemp presses were run by public mills, and therefore did not belong to a farmhouse.
The mighty Schwanzhammer (tail hammer) in the forge came to the museum from Ottenhöfen, where the forge had stood until 1938.